iSucceed College Success
A derivative of Lumen’s College Success course, this course provides new students with an orientation to the college environment and features additional content developed by SUNY faculty, including a Metaliteracy module. It works to build more capable lifelong learners by combining conceptual knowledge with practical strategies and skills. With engaging content and a focus on applying course concepts to real-world situations, iSucceed College Success is targeted at those who are first-year college students or who are entering college underprepared. This course was developed by Lumen Learning with contributing work from Christine Tinnesz and Jim Jensen of University at Buffalo, Trudi Jacobson of University at Albany, Tom Mackey of SUNY Empire State College, and Kelsey O’Brien of University at Albany.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
iSucceed College Success is available as a Waymaker course or as a Candela course.
- Waymaker: User-friendly digital courseware with data-driven learning design, personalization, and messaging tools that can increase student engagement, persistence, and passing rates.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
This course is available at no cost to SUNY students.
Why Teach with Open Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt content includes text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Available at no cost to SUNY students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle).
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows these course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned content and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.