Interested in this course? Suggested next steps…
Chemistry for Majors
This course provides an opportunity for students to learn the core concepts of chemistry and understand how those concepts apply to their lives and the world around them, meeting the scope and sequence of most general chemistry courses. Topics include stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and nuclear chemistry. This course is designed to be taught over a series of two semesters. This course, based on OpenStax Chemistry, is supplemented by faculty resources developed by Jessica Garber-Morales of Tidewater Community College and Shawn Shields of Germanna Community College.
This course was updated on January 2021 to include recent changes found in the primary source of content, OpenStax Chemistry 2e, which includes more accessible figures and images. Additionally, improvements to the course include:
- A complete set of both formative and summative OHM assessments for all learning outcomes in the course.
- Discussions questions and assignments for every module.
- Virtual Lab recommendations.
- Video resource list.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science insights to engage students and better support the learning process. Content includes text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge and improve their understanding. Lumen’s online homework system, OHM, provides frequent practice, machine grading, and immediate feedback to help students learn and master math and other quantitative subjects.
Chemistry for Majors is available as a Candela and OHM course.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, LMS-integrated math homework engine with learning content and activities you tailor to fit your students’ needs.