Chemistry II – OLI
General Chemistry 2 covers all of the topics typically covered in second semester General Chemistry and includes both formative assessments, with high scaffolding, and end of unit and module quizzes. This course offers highly contextualized, engaging content, designed in a logical flow that transitions smoothly between relatively small amounts of expository text, worked examples, activities, interactives, simulations, and other media. The exercises scaffold students through complex problems before moving to less or un-scaffolded practice. The many practice problems provide immediate, detailed feedback and hints as needed.
The course also includes many engaging and interactive elements such as: interactive examples, instructor-led videos demonstrating problem solving methods, problem sets incorporating PhET simulations, and virtual laboratory experiments. Substantial value is added through a coherent learning experience, tagged against a consistent set of learning objectives tied to a common knowledge model.
These materials are available as an OLI course.
- Open Learning Initiative (OLI) courses are designed by learning scientists at Carnegie Mellon University. They use data and research insights to develop, test, and improve OER course materials that effectively support learning.
Why Teach with Open Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt content includes text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Available at no cost to SUNY students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle).
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows these course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned content and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.