Interested in this course? Suggested next steps…
Dana Center : Foundations of Mathematical Reasoning
The Dana Center Mathematics Pathways (DCMP) Foundations of Mathematical Reasoning (FMR) course is a semester-long quantitative literacy-based course that surveys a variety of mathematical topics needed to prepare students for college-level statistics, quantitative reasoning, or algebra-intensive courses.
The course is organized around big mathematical and statistical ideas. The course helps students develop conceptual understanding and acquire multiple strategies for solving problems. FMR prepares students for success in future courses and helps them develop skills for the workplace and as productive citizens. In addition, these materials support development of students’ ability to read, write, and talk about mathematical concepts and applications.
- Numeracy with an emphasis on estimation and fluency with large numbers;
- Evaluating expressions and formulas;
- Rates, ratios, and proportions;
- Solving equations;
- Linear models;
- Data interpretations, including graphs and tables;
- Verbal, algebraic and graphical representations of functions;
- Exponential models.
This Dana Center course is available inside of Lumen Learning’s Online Homework Manager (aka OHM). OHM offers seamless LMS integration, technical support, and the robust features and functionality math faculty rely on to better support their students and gain actionable student performance analytics.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, user-friendly math homework system with customizable learning content, assessments, and activities you can tailor to fit your needs. Request an OHM instructor account.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course may be delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.