STEM Foundations – OLI
The STEM Foundations course is designed to support the development of foundational workplace communication skills and math skills. Students practice using these workplace skills in activities that are intended to aid in preparing them to enter a college program in a STEM career.
These materials are available as an OLI course.
- Open Learning Initiative (OLI) courses are designed by learning scientists at Carnegie Mellon University. They use data and research insights to develop, test, and improve OER course materials that effectively support learning.
Why Teach with Open Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt content includes text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Available at no cost to SUNY students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle).
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows these course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned content and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.